Think you know all about adoption and the foster care system ? Well here are a few facts that you may not have known. While these are a few facts, the main fact is that there are kids waiting to find a forever home. We hope that you gain insight and explore the possibility of starting out as a foster parent.
Written by Serenity Henderson March 17, 2021
- About 135,000 children are adopted in the United States each year.
- Of non-stepparent adoptions, about 59% are from the child welfare assistance, 26% are from different countries, and 15% are intentionally surrendered American infants.
- Adoption became an official legal process in the 1850s.
- Up to at least the 1970s, adoption was only for babies and only by married couples who could not produce children biologically.
- After the Korean War there was a movement to adopt the war orphans, many of whom were mixed-race children of American GIs
- Adopting Carries Tax Benefits: There are two main tax benefits for adoptive parents: a tax credit for qualified expenses paid to adopt a child (court costs, travel expenses, adoption fees) and an exclusion from income for employer-provided adoption assistance.
- 6 in 10 Americans have had personal experience with adoption, meaning that they themselves, a family member, or a close friend was adopted, had adopted a child, or had placed a child for adoption
- Despite the fact that gay and lesbian parents are raising 4 percent of all adopted children in the U.S., some states have laws that still make it more difficult for them to do so.
- More than 60% of children in foster care spend two to five years in the system before being adopted. Almost 20% spend five or more years in foster care before being adopted. Some never get adopted.
- One out of every 25 U.S. families with children have an adopted child. According to the U.S. Census, about half of these have both biological and adopted children.
I hope these facts opened up your mind to adoption or at least taught you something you may not have known about adoption. Kids are waiting to be adopted more and more each day and its critical our community knows as much information on it as possible !
Contact us today on how you can become a foster parent. We also offer therapeutic foster care, adoption, behavioral health counseling and outpatient Services. Quality care and services you can trust. https://familiesofusa.com